Certificate Programme in Disaster Management
This online DM certificate course is designed to address the existing practice-knowledge gaps by developing humanitarian professionals with the right blend of academic and practical approaches to reduce vulnerabilities and risks to hazards while developing ways of building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters. This integrated programme defines humanitarian response within the framework of an understanding of development, with vulnerability and disaster risk reduction as an integral part of development. This programme recognizes the vulnerabilities faced by the poor and marginalized and the disproportionate impact of disasters endured by them in the developing world. In this programme, the study of disaster risk reduction, disaster response and post-disaster recovery will be grounded in the values of justice, equity and social inclusion.
The one-year Certificate course is an introductory level foundational course of 22 credits broadly covering,
- Introduction to Development
- Humanitarian Principles, Laws and Standards in Disaster Management
- Introduction to Hazards, Vulnerabilities and Disasters
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Development Planning
- Geo-informatics and Information Communication Technology in Disasters
- Disaster Response and Recovery, initiated with an introduction to the World of the Red Cross.
There will also be a Term-paper writing component and a Field Practicum (Internship assignment).