This Certificate Programme in Disaster Management is designed to impart domain knowledge, values, capacities and skills to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of key concepts in disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response
- Understand and appreciate the specific contributions of the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement to the practice and conceptual understanding of disaster management and humanitarian response and their significance in the current context
- Recognize issues, debates and challenges arising from the nexus between paradigm of development and disasters
- Critically evaluate disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response policy and practice from multiple perspectives
- Develop an understanding of standards of humanitarian response and practical relevance in specific types of disasters and conflict situations
- Critically understand the strengths and weaknesses of disaster management approaches, planning and programming in different countries, particularly their home country or the countries they work in, and
- Respond to disaster risk reduction initiatives and disasters in an effective, humane and sustainable manner.